By signing up for these classes and practicing the games and exercises herein you are affirming that:
· I am aware that there are inherent risks and hazards involved in activities with and around dogs, and I am voluntarily participating in these activities with knowledge of potential dangers. I am aware that any dog, regardless of training, handling, or environmental circumstance, is capable of biting and I expressly acknowledge the risks therein.
· In order to participate in dog training classes or other activities, I, being fully informed of such risks and hazards, agree to assume all risks of such occurrences.
· I hereby waive any and all claims or actions that I or my guardians or representatives may have, from any and all personal injury to myself, my dog, children in my charge, or harm to property or person caused directly or indirectly, through action or inaction of self or others, by acts that might occur in dog training classes, any other format of training activities or secondary training without trainer present or engaged.
· I agree to indemnify Access To Service and its employees and affiliates from any and all claims by myself, member of family, or any agent while within training facilities, within my home property, as a result of attempting to follow verbal or written instructions or in the general public as a result of any action or inaction, of either my dog or any another.
· I also agree to assume sole responsibility for injury or damage caused by myself, children in my charge, or by the dog I own or handle and further agree to indemnify, defend and hold the instructors, trainers, assistants and property harmless from any damage, loss, liability or expense, including legal cost and attorney's fees, which result from damage caused by myself, children in my charge, or by the dog I own or handle.
· I expressly understand this to mean that I am relinquishing and releasing my right to sue others in either negligence of for strict liability based on either another person’s act or the actions of their animal.
· I recognize that the role I play in my dog’s learning process is integral to achieving desired results. I acknowledge and agree that there is no guarantee that my dog will achieve the desired level of training, despite the best efforts of the instructor or instructions. I understand that there are no refunds after payment has been made.
· I hereby declare that I am of legal age and competent to sign this agreement and that if not, that my parent or legal guardian is in complete understanding and concurrence with this agreement.
· I understand this agreement. I agree to be bound by it.
1. We love animals with all our hearts and are committed to training force-free maximizing fun and playful techniques. We emphasize fun and joy in our training and work to minimize stress as much as possible.
2. We base our training methods on scientifically proven methods that are animal-friendly. If there should be a conflict between what is animal-friendly and what the animal’s parent desires, we will side with what is animal-friendly.
3. We work to get animals out of crates so that they may move freely and safely coexist with humans.
4. There is overwhelming scientific evidence that positive reinforcement is the best way to train animals. We are committed to using at most a mild aversive only as a last resort. Shock collars, prong collars or choke chains are never used. We do not advocate physical corrections, throwing things at or near the animal or spraying liquid in an animal’s face.
5. We foster our continuing education and all consistently work to continue our education. All staff are certified and where they are not, they work under the supervision of a certified trainer while they are pursing certification.
6. We educate humans to employ patience and to seek to understand animal’s needs and wants.
7. We coach people to communicate consistently and clearly with their animals.
8. We work within our level of competence. Less experienced trainers are supervised by more experienced ones. We do not give advice on anything that is outside of our area of expertise. We refer clients to competent professionals for issues that are outside of our area of expertise.
9. We keep client information confidential sharing client info ONLY with staff and those in a position of supervision, with the exception of neglect or abuse of an animal or if the animal is dangerous.
10. Clients should know they are empowered to decline any recommendations that we make for them or their dogs. We encourage clients to ask questions.
11. Schedule of fees: Most group classes are $200 for eight one hour sessions. Private instruction is $50 per hour or $35 per half hour at our main location. In home instruction is $100 per hour. Failure of payment will result in discontinuation of services.
12. The successes of training strongly depends on three factors: an owner’s willingness to heed the advice of the trainer (the professional), proper reinforcement at home and maintaining an open line of communication with the trainer. Cooperation from all parties is key to the learning process and to rehabilitation. This includes not mixing methods during your time of training with Seize the Leash. We are positive reinforcement based trainers and any deviation from that will ruin the gains made here. Not doing your homework at least 5 minutes a day will prevent your dog from learning also. An hour long session once a week cannot teach a dog what it needs to know. YOU MUST be involved on a daily basis.
13. Photos and videos will be taken during training classes and private lessons. These photos are the property of Seize the Leash but shall be available upon request to clients. These photos and videos will only be used for promotional purposes.
We believe it is unethical to make guarantees about behavior results. In fact, as members of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT), we pledge to refrain from giving guarantees regarding the outcome of training. Instead of guaranteeing specific behavior results, we promise to work with you and your dog to achieve a better relationship.
Seize The Leash DOES guarantee you will receive:
• Stellar customer service
• Trained, expert staff who is committed to ongoing continuing education
• Commitment to positive reinforcement training methods
• Small group class sizes
• Customized approach to your training goals for private lessons and board and train
• A commitment to help clients seek relief, change, and improvement
• Free socialization and obedience class for the life of your dog once a PhD in APDT Canine Life and Social Skills (CLASS) or the AKC Canine Good Citizen Advanced has been earned by that dog.
We are committed to excellence, and that you can count on.
It is unethical for trainers to guarantee changed behavior results. This is due to the variables in dog breeding and temperament, owner commitment and experience, the dog's future life experiences, etc. You know this to be true when you consider that human behavior cannot be guaranteed, let alone a dog's behavior. Dogs are independent beings that we cannot sit down with and verbally convince them to comply with our instructions. It doesn't matter if that session is one hour or 10 hours long. One session is not going to change behavior patterns in either the dog or you. You must understand that when it concerns behavior, it's up to you to change and learn so that your dog can change and learn. No trainer anywhere can guarantee you and the dog.
Your dog’s success is dependent on YOU doing your homework if you are getting private lessons or coming to group class. If at the end of each week the dog is not showing that he can do that week’s homework, you will repeat that week. The dog cannot progress to the next set of exercises without some proficiency in the ones you were supposed to be teaching him.
COPYRIGHT © 2008 - 2020 BY JAMIE ROBINSON
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, write to the publisher, addressed “Attention: Permissions Coordinator,” at the address below.
Access To Service
109 W Prince Rd #10
Tucson, AZ 85705
Quantity sales: Special discounts are available on quantity purchases by corporations, associations, and others. For details, contact the publisher at the address above.
Orders by U.S. trade bookstores and wholesalers. Please contact Access To Service: Tel: (727) 686-4246; or visit http://www.accesstoservice.org
Printed in the United States of America
There have been many influences behind this book and the methods and philosophy it espouses. Foremost among those have been
Susan Garrett for providing the foundation for structured game training
Sylvia Trkman for many games and tricks
Terry Ryan for turning me onto using games in training
Denise Fenzi for showing me that games and play and positive reinforcement works in all aspects of dog training
Patricia McConnell for being a mentor and the one I always turned to for answers
Suzanne Clothier for relationship centered training and all her videos of raising puppies
Roger Abrantes for his no nonsense approach to training, mentoring, and just plain knowledge
Kevin Behan and James O’Heare for making me think about our relationship to animals and specifically dogs.
I would also like to acknowledge and thank those who are not well-known trainers, authors and lecturers
· Elizabeth McMullin for sticking with me through the transition and helping create many of the games and structure that is in this book.
· Beth Carillo, Deena Singer and Katrina Carnegy for always being there to hold my hand and listen to my rants.
· Susan Marshall and Elise Crismon for being guinea pigs for many of the games and being the best clients a trainer could have.
· Juanita Alvarez for assisting, albeit unknowingly, in creating the current shy dog program.
There are many more that have contributed in large and small ways, and they know who they are, but are too many to list.
Most of all, however, I dedicate this book, the philosophy behind Canine Game Theory ™, and the reason I do all of this – the dogs.